Denmark Golf and Tennis
The Denmark Country Club is adjacent to the College, with both golf and tennis available at a nominal junior club membership fee. Students are able to play after school and on weekends, either privately or in club events. Tutoring is available to students in group clinics. The College has a number of golf club sets, however any donations of surplus equipment are always welcome.
Music jamming sessions are made available at both on and off site venues to enable students to form performing groups and present them with opportunities to perform at events such as Open Day and Graduation Day.
This extra curricular program may be available in term two, and delivers Certificate I in furniture making over a two year period, utilizing the mid year terms two and three for the course each year. Students produce fine wood projects, with former students competing successfully in local woodcraft exhibitions and following through with careers in the furniture making and building industries.
Arts & Dance
The opportunity exists to participate in further arts projects and events during the year.
A variety of options are available to students throughout the year.
- Surfing: Part of the sport program for Year 10 and 11 students, surfing is also available to all students including Year 12, scheduled for Wednesdays each week after school. To participate students need to have achieved the ‘surf qual.’ swim at Ocean Beach.
- Surf Championships: Held annually in Term Two at Ocean Beach, this event always produces keen competition in both body board and surfboard sections, with current champions always keen to defend their titles. All surfers are encouraged to participate and have a great day out.
- Surfing/Ocean Awareness Certificate: Run by Mike Neunuebel of South Coast Surfing, this weekend long surfing camp at Ocean Beach delivers Certificate I & II in Surfing and Ocean Awareness, and is scheduled for the weekend of 16th and 17th March.
- Water Based Excursions: All students are encouraged to participate in the department of Education ‘Swim survival tests’ at Green’s Pool early in Term One to enable them to take part in boating excursions in the College runabouts. The swim survival test is also the precursor to taking part in fishing excursions, dragon boat racing, kayaking, SCUBA diving and the Recreational Skipper’s ticket.
- Yachting: Yachting is available through membership of the Denmark Yacht Club, sailing on the Wilson Inlet on Saturday mornings, using Windrush 14 cats provided by the Denmark Youth Support group, and with coaching available from club members and Yachting WA.
- Kayaking: Kayaking commences in Term One, with the Denmark and Frankland Rivers great waterways to explore, as well as the Wilson and Walpole Inlets. This is a good training background for students wishing to participate in the Blackwood Marathon later in the year. Kayaks are being made available by the
- Denmark Youth Support group, and students can participate in Sunday Kayak club events.
- Dragon Boat Racing: Students are encouraged to participate in this team event, either by joining the local club, or participating in the College’s Dragon Boat team. Practice and events take place on the Denmark River and Wilson Inlet on Sundays, with the Frankland River marathon in May being an event to aim for.
- Recreational Skipper’s Ticket: RST courses will be offered during the year, with the first programmed to commence in Term Two. Details will be forwarded to parents/guardians of students interested in taking part.
- SCUBA Diving: This program is conducted in conjunction with South Coast Diving in Albany. The course involves a substantial time commitment from students for both theory and weekend training and assessment. Parents/guardians of students that signify an interest will be forwarded information, as there is an appreciable cost to this course, and stringent medical requirements for participation in SCUBA diving.
Day students are encouraged to take part in College excursions, events and training programs, and parental involvement is always welcome.
Further Information: Kelli Gillies, Residential Manager, 0428 480 203